Self-Awareness and Self-Esteem
On the 26Oct, Its the second time I’ve attended LMS. Its only then I’ve actually understood what LMS module is all about. The topic we are on and discussed in class is understanding Self-Awareness & Self-Esteem and how we enhanced it.
We started off by doing a personal inventory based on the way you see yourself as, in terms of your characteristics and personalities. After that, we got to introduce ourselves using the given adjectives.
I am the lucky one to start the ball rolling. When I’m done, I actually observed how the others present themselves to the class. Through their body languages and they way they speak, it enables me to sort of gauge what type of person they are, the impression they want people to create on them, how much information about them that they are willing to reveal, whether they are more to the introverts or extroverts...etc
Self –Awareness is all about understanding yourself and how you see the world. It is important to everyone as it is essential for forming strong relationships. You will be more opened up to others and enhanced social sensitivity, thus improving your ability to communicate well with others.
I feel that the attitude towards achieving goals or anything is important as it is the attitude at the beginning of a task that determines success or failure.
I can enhance Self-Awareness by doing reflections. Eg. Compare myself to others and seek feedbacks from my friends. Feedbacks enable everyone to change for the better. I believed that many people have ideas on how the others should change, and very few people have ideas on how they should change. We must learn how to face criticism in order to make us stronger. On the other hand, too much of it would do harm to our development of Self-Esteem.
Self-Esteem is how much we feel valued, accepted and thought well of by others, and how much we value and accept ourselves. It is important to have high Self-Esteem as it enables us communicate and relate better to others.
Adapting to changes easily and respond to challenge without excessive fear or worry. Being able to face all failures, treat those mistakes as learning opportunities. And at the point where you really want to give up, asked yourself why you held upon for so long in the first place.
The negative beliefs in us affect our self-image and self-esteem. Our self-image is a mental picture of ourselves and is based on interactions with others and our life experiences. One’s negative thinking and beliefs can become illusions of truth.
I seriously believe that parents should not always critize their child, but to praise them when they have done the right thing, it plays a part by helping them to develop good self-esteem as they are still growing and forming their values and beliefs. My personal experienced would be: There was once I did badly for one of my exam, I did not receive a word of encouragement at all, and all I had was scoldings and being reprimanded. It makes me reflect on why I wasn’t praised when I’ve done well or being hardworking, yet being pin down by one mistake. So when i failed my exam again, i'll tell my parents that im like what they've said, I'm not the material for studying.
How others see us and how we see ourselves can have great impact too. We can help overcome all these negatives beliefs/thinking by reframing them into positive ones.
I can help enhanced my self-esteem through having positive thoughts as it helps to build confidence and boost my self-esteem. Tell myself that if I believe I can, and I’m halfway there. Change my negative beliefs. Eg. “I have to extremely nice to my friends so that they will stay by me.” Tell myself, Friendship isn’t about whom you have known for the longest, it’s about who came and never left your side.
Self-Awareness and Self-Esteem is critical to my personal development and confidence. For those have low Self-Esteem, change it! Involve in activities that help you get in touch with your talents and take pride in your new skills developed. Have plannings before doing things might help achieve better results, leading to the increasingly building up of your Self-Esteem.
websites visited :http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/self_esteem.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jia Wen
Thoughtful reflection and good effort for reading up other source for additional knowledge. I sense a greater awareness of self and the need to build esteem.
Positive thinking is the key to handling most conflicts and disappointment in life. Techniques on enhancing self esteem should be practised.
Post a Comment